Posted: December 16, 2015
Submitting gap closing courses to the USCG and removing STCW 2010 limitations on your Merchant Mariner Credential
In order to remove the limitations on the STCW endorsement as part of your Merchant Mariner Credential - including the expiration date of December 31, 2016 - and to ensure your STCW 2010 gap closing courses are included in your U.S. Coast Guard file, you must submit an application to the USCG. Additional information can be found on the STAR Center website.
The following steps outline a simplified procedure for submitting gap closing course completion certificates and removing STCW 2010 limitations ONLY:
- Complete gap closing courses required for your license
- Complete USCG 719B application with the following:
- Transaction box: check 'STCW Certificate' and 'Endorsement' boxes
- In the 'Applying For' section write: "Remove STCW 2010 limitations" (Section II: Requested Coast Guard Credential(s), Credential or Endorsement Type(s) Requested > Description of Endorsement(s) Desired)
- Submit application and copies of gap closing certificates to any USCG REC
- Applications can be submitted via e-mail, FAX, mail or in person
- If submitting by e-mail:
- The 719B form and gap closing certificates must be scanned at a resolution not exceeding 300 dpi, saved in PDF format, and the files must not exceed 8 megabytes (MB) total in size. If e-mail size (including file attachments) exceeds 8 MB, send the documents in multiple e-mails.
- Select your desired REC from the list on the left hand side of the REC page on the NMC website and then select the 'E-mail Application' button at the top left of that REC's webpage, or you may use the list of REC e-mail addresses provided.
- The subject line of your e-mail must be: last name, first name, middle initial, mariner reference # (for example: Smith, Jonathan, A, 12345).
- Ensure all required files are attached to the e-mail and the total file size of the e-mail with attachments does not exceed 8 MB prior to sending.
- Once your application is processed by the USCG, one of two things will happen:
- If your current MMC contains the STCW limitation "NOT VALID AFTER 12/31/16," you will receive a sticker back from the USCG with no limitations in the STCW section. Place the sticker in your MMC; or
- If your current MMC does not contain the above noted limitation, the USCG will send you a letter stating that your current MMC is in order and the gap closing certificates you submitted will be included in your file for your next MMC renewal.